Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Trip to the Cove


My new camera, the Canon 7D which was just released in September, arrived last Friday so I really wanted to go out and take some pictures somewhere. I decided to head down to the tidepools at Abalone Cove. While not super low, the tide was going to be pretty low at 0.32 ft. on Saturday afternoon and I discovered that that is low enough.

It was beautiful and quiet. There were hardly any people at all—a few fishermen way out on the rocks, another couple taking photos like me, and one man painting. Because there was nobody to disturb them, some interesting shorebirds showed up including a Spotted Sandpiper. I haven't seen one of those in a long time, but they are unmistakable because of the way they bob up and down as they walk along. I took pictures of him, but I did not have my super telephoto lens with me so the photos are not great but are good enough for an ID.

As I was hiking back up the cliff, I looked up at the Wayfarers Chapel and noticed that the bell tower was completely encased in scaffolding. I hope it has not been damaged. The famous chapel, built by Lloyd Wright, is right next to the Portuguese Bend landslide area. Indeed, the chaple lost its original Visitors' Center in 1982 due to landslide damage. I couldn't find any mention of current problems on the web, but I did find this interesting piece of information:

In 1954 Wright designed the soaring Hallelujah Tower that goes down two stories into the soil and locks in solidly to anchor the sanctuary to the hillside. At night the tower with its lighted cross is visible for many miles out to sea. Sailors passing through the Catalina Channel call it God's candle. A chime of sixteen bells in the tower proclaims each quarter hour, peals forth at the end of wedding celebrations, and plays for special events and services.

Driving back on Palos Verdes Drive South, I did notice that a small slide had occurred along the road just beneath the structure.

1 comment:

  1. One day hopefully soon I would like to go there and take pictures of everything. I really do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete