Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Baby Raglan Cardigan

Front

I finished the baby raglan cardigan today. It was made with the fingering weight merino wool yarn that I dyed myself. (See Fiber Fun Parts 1, 2, and 3.) The sweater was designed by C. Strohmeyer and the pattern is published in the Complete Book of Raglan Sweaters by Leisure Arts. The blue stripe and ribbing were done with Lion Brand's Micro Spun in Royal Blue. It's a very soft sports yarn that has a sheen to it. It makes a nice contrast with the wool. I decided not to block the sweater because I didn't want to flatten out the puckering at the eyelets.

The Leisure Arts books have very easy to follow instructions for the basic stitches and some very helpful suggestions for any problems that might come up. In this book it was suggested that you knit with a larger (or smaller) needle for the purl stitches if you are getting stitch gauge but not row gauge. I tried this with my Knit Picks Options interchangeable needles and cables, using a size 5 on one end for the knit rows and size 6 on the other for the purl rows. It worked!

I made the sweater in the one-year size so it may be awhile before I can show you pictures of Baby C. wearing it. He will be celebrating his six-month birthday on Thursday.


Back

1 comment: