Monday, November 19, 2007

Cobweb Complete

One nice (??) thing about not feeling good is that there is plenty of time to knit, as long as you are not so miserable you don't feel like doing anything. I have been knitting up a storm the past few months and have completed two works, Cobweb and Elodie, with the Opaque Sweater not far behind. I've also watched a lot of DVD movies from Netflix, but that's another blog.

Cobweb comes from Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine No. 40. It is done in Rowan Kidsilk Night which has a metallic thread in with the mohair and gives it a light sparkle which doesn't come out too well in the photos. This was the project I decided to do when Creative Beadcrafts in the UK sent me the wrong beads for Anya. The multi-faceted crystal beads were so pretty I decided to keep them. I knew I could find some use for them.

I pretty much followed the pattern exactly except for making an error when casting on for the sleeves. I knitted the first two rows instead of a knit and a purl (stockinette), but this turned out to be an advantage because you don't notice the difference and it keeps the edge from curling. I will not be putting the flowers along the front edge since I want to wear this when I play concerts and the flowers would only get in the way of my violin. I may change my mind on that and I still need to find the right brooch to close the front, too.

The pattern called for two different kinds of beads, but I only used the one. Our concert black is not supposed to be too sparkly. There is a crocheted edge all around the neckline and across the bottom of the bolero. I found crocheting with the mohair easier than knitting with it and this part went very fast. When I put the bolero on to model it for the pictures I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is, so light and airy. I had been afraid it would be too hot. We'll see...

I finished Elodie several weeks ago but am just getting around to posting this photo of the finished project. The pattern comes from the Nora Gaughan Berroco Collection Vol. 1. When I posted earlier about it, I mentioned the several errors that were in the instructions. Berroco has now been informed of the errors and has them listed on their errata page.

This shrug has come in very handy for just about any occasion when there is a chill in the air and it was fun to knit, too.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful shrugs. Cobweb will look marvelous on stage, and I just want to curl up on a couch with Elodie and a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both beautiful. And I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used Elodie to keep me warm when meditating, too.

    ReplyDelete