Monday, December 22, 2008

December Color

When we landscaped our yard for the first time, I told the designer that I was from New England and wanted fall color, hence the birch trees. This Nandina domestica, or Heavenly Bamboo, provides color in its leaves which can take on a reddish cast, but also in the berries which look very pretty at this time of year.

I have no idea what this plant is, it is a volunteer from my neighbor, but I have grown to like it. It is very drought tolerant and blooms every December with just the right color.

Even the Clivia miniata (pronounced with a long "i" since it was named for the Lady Clive) has red berries at this time of year. It took me a long time to convince my gardener to leave the flower stalks after the blooms had faded so that I can enjoy the berries. It takes two years for the red color to appear.

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had some winter color like that. I think i will go and buy some roses to do the trick.

    DIL AZ

    ReplyDelete