Thursday, October 4, 2007

Cereus

Last Friday night, Bart and Kathy invited me over to see their Night-blooming Cereus. Bart has become an expert in predicting when the blooms will open. He checks the buds out during the day, and gives me a call if he thinks there will be a fine display that evening. I believe the species name of this plant is Epiphyllum oxypetalum, but I am not an expert in epiphyllums. As the name implies, the plant blooms at night and the blooms last for one night only. Next day, they are limp and spent. They give off a very unique perfume that Bart loves, but I think is rather stinky.

A co-worker of Grace's, Robert Fovell, has a blog, Are you Cereus?, with some great photos of cereus blooms and other neat things. If you are a cereus lover, check out his site.

No comments:

Post a Comment