Friday, March 9, 2007

Spring!


Baby C. and I went birdwatching this morning at the nature center near where he lives. Spring is certainly in the air and the birds were singing their hearts out. On our short walk, we heard and saw a Bewick's Wren and a California Thrasher, both expert singers. We also saw Acorn Woodpeckers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Scrub Jays, and House Finches. Most surprising of all, a Warbling Vireo is making a nest under the garage roof eaves just outside Baby C's front door.


In my backyard, the White-crowned Sparrows left town almost two weeks ago. That is very early for them. They didn't even sing to thank me for all the sunflower seeds I gave them before they left.



Just about everything that should be blooming at this time of year is blooming including my new arugula plant. That has been, in Kathy's words, a most satisfactory plant, providing me with leaves for my salads all winter long.

The redbud is putting on a spectacular display this year, as is the azalea.



And the freesias smell wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment