Friday, March 16, 2007

Diet Update

I am really, really busy right now with concerts and my students, but I have still been reading and thinking about diets and nutrition. (Friends and especially my family say, "Uh, oh!" whenever I tell them that I have been thinking.) But I wanted to pass on to you a link to a recent blog by Dr. Michael Eades regarding the inhumane way pigs are raised for slaughter in this country. My daughter-in-law refuses to eat pork because of this issue. I happened to be reading Pollan's book (The Omnivore's Dilemma) during lunch when I came upon his description of why the pigs have their tails clipped. It sure spoiled my appetite even though I was not eating pork.

Please read the comments that accompany the blog entry. The people who wrote them have a lot of good things to say not only about the inhumane treatment of farm animals and where you can get locally-raised meat but also problems with eggs. Calling chickens who eat only vegetarian feed "natural" is absurd. Chickens, when given the opportunity, peck in the dirt for grubs and insects and these protein sources are a natural part of their diet. I would like to buy "free-ranging" eggs not just "free-range" eggs, but they are very hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment